WiFiDuino = WiFi + Arduino

WiFiDuino is a new Arduino board that has a WiFi module. The circuit is based on the famous open source “Arduino Micro” from Arduino and Adafruit. To add WiFi connection, the new module “CC3000” from TI is used.

WiFiDuino Layout

Why CC3000?
First of all, the cost; CC3000 is cheap. The price is around $12 !!! Add to that the amazing technical support from TI. By amazing I mean the schematic, guidelines for layout design and even the source code but for MSP430. One more thing regarding their support is the CC3000 SmartConfig, which ease building the WiFi connection with iOS or Android devices.  Something else I like about this module is the size, it is really small, 16.3 mm x 13.5 mm x 2 mm. The technical features need another post to talk about.

The schematic is modified version of “Arduino Micro” which has ATmega32u4 chip. The CC3000 is connected to the ATmega32u4 through SPI interface. The board has digital I/Os and analog inputs. The antenna placement and the matching circuit are designed based on the guidelines form TI. The board size is 2.1″ x 1.1″.

The schematic and the layout are done. Sources will be published once the board is fabbed and tested.

I am working on another version of the WiFiDuino which has better specs.

Posted in Arduino Tagged with: , , ,
12 comments on “WiFiDuino = WiFi + Arduino
  1. DaveX64 says:

If someone markets these, I will definitely buy a few :)

2. zoobab says:

12usd? Sounds super expensive.

Most USB WiFi adaptors sells for like 4usd.

• admin says:

The problem with the USB WiFi adapters is writing the driver for these adapters for microcontroller based board.

• Fahad says:

Yes, USB Wifi adapters are very cheap because they are simply a tiny chip with an antenna, and the operating system does all the work like handling packets and understand the different IP protocols and stacks. However, when it comes to microcontrollers you have to implement all of these things yourself since you are making the OS here. Search for arduino wifi shield and you will find the price average to be around $60 just for the wifi thing without the arduino itself!

3. Mike says:

Can you comment on what your plan for these are? Are you going to have them made for sale or are you just going to release the plans. I would love to get a few of these. I am thinking you could easily kick start it.

4. Dion says:

FWIW, if you haven’t seen this, you may be interested: Spark Core: arduino + Corten M3 + CC3000 = http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sparkdevices/spark-core-wi-fi-for-everything-arduino-compatible

As soon as I saw that posted, I knew some other people would be using the same chip for a low-cost wifi arduino!

• admin says:

Yes I am following Spark Core form the very beginning on KickStarter.
      When they announced Spark Core I was already working on WiFiDuino with CC3000.
      Spark Core is more powerful, it comes with STM32 ARM Microcontroller.
      But it depends on the application. And I am working on some shields and ideas to improve it.

5. Anders J says:

Neat; 12 USD is a very reasonable price for the chip. I’d love to buy a few of these boards if you make them. If you sell/Kickstart these, will you be publishing an Arduino library (i.e., port of the TI code) as well?

6. kmmankad says:

This is cool! Could you share the PCB files for the CC3000 part of it?
    I’m also looking to dev a PSoC based Wifi node using that chip.

Thanks :)

7. Martin says:

Exactly what I’m searching for ! …
    Is there any ETA for availability and where it will be on sale ?
    Thanks !

4 Pings/Trackbacks for "WiFiDuino = WiFi + Arduino"
  1. [...] WiFiDuino is a new Arduino board that has a WiFi module. The circuit is based on the famous open source “Arduino Micro” from Arduino and Adafruit. To add WiFi connection, the new module “CC3000” from TI is used.  [...]

2. [...] WiFiDuino is a new Arduino board that has a WiFi module. The circuit is based on the famous open source “Arduino Micro” from Arduino and Adafruit. To add WiFi connection, the new module “CC3000” from TI is used. [...]

3. [...] WiFiDuino is a new Arduino board that has a WiFi module. The circuit is based on the famous open source “Arduino Micro” from Arduino and Adafruit. To add WiFi connection, the new module “CC3000” from TI is used.  [...]